CMBC: Cranky Monkey Broadcasting Corporation

Saturday, April 29, 2006

VFVCs

In all of my professional career, I had likely never written the word "lions" in my office. That was until I entered "Lions Club" in my calendar for an upcoming speaking engagement.

And in all of my professional career, no colleague had ever appeared in my office doorway to talk to me about lions--the animals.

And, yet, these two verbal events happened at exactly the same time--my colleague stood in my doorway and said "lions" exactly as I wrote "Lions" on my calendar.

Most people might not have caught this--and we call those people normal--but to me it's just too freaky not to at least notice. These coincidences are also verbal. So I am calling these types of odd experiences Very Freaky Verbal Coincidences, or VFVCs for short.

VFVCs happen to me a lot, perhaps once a week. I've thought about keeping a list of them, but they are usually so trivial that writing them down seems pointless--and that's because it really is.

Regardless, here are some examples:
  1. As I drove through Greentown, Indiana, I heard the word "mouse" in the lyrics of the country song, The night the lights went out in Georgia, at the same exact time that my eyes landed on a sign for a store called The Church Mouse. Both parts of this equation are odd. I don't usually listen to country music or to songs with "mouse" in the lyrics. And, I pass through Greentown maybe 10 times a year, and this was the only time I had ever seen the sign for "The Church Mouse." So for these to have happened at the same time was freaky.
  2. I was walking across my living room floor when my eyes randomly landed on a jigsaw puzzle piece of Alaska at the exact instant I heard Jerry Seinfeld say "Alaska" on TV. I rarely get a chance to watch Seinfeld, and I don't recall the show talking much about our 49th state. And the jigsaw puzzle of the USA--that was on the floor maybe 2 days out of the year.

Does anyone else have these experiences, or is it just me? (Yes, I know Audrey, it's definitely just me.)

4 Comments:

  • Years back I heard/read a news story that someone actually calculated the number of these coincidences you should have in a day and the number was quite high, something like 18 a day...sorry can't remember much more than that but you might want to search on it...

    By Blogger Dagoth, At 6:48 PM  

  • hey you said it, not me!! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:28 PM  

  • I was on a "SkyTrain" ride (it's a Vancouver, B.C. thing) when we stopped at the 'Broadway' station en route...just at the same time, Diana Krall's rendition of "Broadway" came over my I-Pod.

    Coincidence? I think NOT!

    By Blogger Tai, At 12:15 AM  

  • This kind of thing happens to me all of the time. It usually happens with new words though. Sometimes the connection isn't simultaneous, rather it happens within a day's span. However, it still grabs the attention enough to freak you out.

    There are too many examples to tell, but the most recurring one is my ability to think of a song in church before they start playing it, and then watch as they play it a minute later. Happens all of the time.

    By Blogger Grason, At 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home