CMBC: Cranky Monkey Broadcasting Corporation

Friday, December 15, 2006

Canisters, Coffee, and Cucumbers

I spent a couple hours this morning downloading and installing the new Office 2007 suite. What a nice upgrade, especially graphically! If you attend a university where you get the upgrade for free, then go for it. IU Kokomo students can download it at http://www.iuware.indiana.edu/. More on this at some other point.

Friday also found us doing the last minute preparations for the reception tomorrow at our club house and the graduation ceremony at Purdue on Sunday. I did my regular vacuuming this morning with our yellow Dyson, which I can’t say enough about. I’m not convinced that the Dyson is any better than the Kirby we already had, but it sure is more fun to use, and this explains why I go out of my way to use it on a daily basis. It’s kind of like what Alton Brown of the Food Network said regarding what the best chef knife is to use: “The best knife is the one that feels comfortable in your hand, because that is the one you will most often use.” Another feature of the Dyson that amuses me is the transparent canister that enables me to see what I have sucked up. But enough about vacuums.

Raul Matthew and I headed out when the low oil indicator light on the dashboard went off, so we switched cars and headed first to Panera Bread to check on ordering some coffee jugs. I saw Tara Lancaster working the counter, but I didn’t recognize her at first because I was in my own little world (very rare!), so she probably thought that I totally blew her off. Hi, Tara. :) Unfortunately, Panera didn’t have the type of large, 100+ ounce container available at Krispy Kreme for only $9.99 (with a dozen glazed donuts tossed in for free) but only a much smaller box that reportedly (according to what some customers had told the cashier) amounted to 6-8 cups of java, and this for $11.99. So, I went about finding a Plan B.

We stopped in at Qdoba to pick up lunch, and I was surprised and delighted to find that they had finally expanded their menu to include some type of Mexican gumbo. I got the steak version, and it was excellent. In my opinion it’s the best food offering that the chain has going for it at present. A few more such additions and the restaurant might raise itself to the level of a Chipotle’s. While there, I also chatted in line with Cayce and Michael from IU Kokomo. Congrats to Cayce for joining the Honor’s Program, which just got a major upgrade by her addition.

Later we headed out to the Marsh on Washington to pick up a few more items, and I learned from my cashier that thefts had skyrocketed in the store since Marsh added the liquor aisle a few months ago. Interesting. I have personally witnessed two shoplifting incidents in the Kroger down the street. Both of those occasions took place about midnight, and one involved two women, a full cart of groceries, and a beat-up blue get away car. The other incident involved some dude in his early 20s who was drinking energy drinks and then leaving the empty cans behind the glass doors of the frozen food section.

These incidents reminded me of two accounts related to me by an officer in Bartow, Florida. In 1984ish, the police were called to the Publix grocery store when some dude flipped out and started randomly launching cucumbers at people. For over 20 years now, I’ve often wondered about how fun it would be to see cucumbers soaring through the air, tumbling end over bumpy end, as people scurried for cover. If l ever lose my mind, you’ll probably read a similar account in the local newspaper. Hopefully, I’ll still have a good throwing arm. The thought of Randy Johnson hurling a 96 m.p.h. fast cucumber makes me smile. On the same day, across the street at the Winn Dixie, an old guy was spotted with blood trickling down his head. When workers attended to the old man, they removed his hat to find a steak on his bald head. I guess he didn’t think the steaks were high enough, or something.

We also stopped by Big Lots, taking a quick peek into the Second Time Around sports equipment store in that same corner. The place was crammed with treadmills, etc., but it was hard to see them given the thick layer of cigarette smoke hanging in the air. Now there is a marketing nightmare! At Big Lots we found a black thermos with a pump that will be perfect for the coffee setup during tomorrow’s reception.

My father, Raul Canez, and my step-mom, Lucy, will be flying in tonight from Ft. Worth, Texas, and it will be great to see them again. My father has a law practice in Ft. Worth and has also been appointed as a judge. Lucy teaches at a Montessori school in the area and is an advanced yoga instructor, something she has been doing for probably 30 years, I’m guessing.

My mom, Bonita Mosley, will fly into Indy from Florida tomorrow afternoon. She is an art instructor at Lakeland Christian School in central Florida, the same school I graduated from. Unfortunately, my dad, Michael, won’t be able to make the graduation festivities as he is heading up a construction project for the Alcoa company down in Jamaica. I guess pictures will have to do for now.

My in-laws, Dale and Carol Byrom will also be coming up tomorrow to help host the reception. My mother-in-law, Carol Byrom, has done a lot of work in preparation for this reception, including making a graduation cake. Making cakes is one of her specialties, and she had done a lot of weddings in the past. The family has also scheduled time at 5:30 PM tomorrow to give me some gifts, and then the reception will start at 6:00 PM. I’m not really sure how many people will attend, but I’m guessing about 50 total including maybe 20 students from IU Kokomo. It will be great to see all who come.

It’s time to use the Hoover SteamVac to clean up a jelly donut spill on the carpet. Really, I’m not always this domesticated. I'm heading out in 15 minutes to hunt for deer with my bare hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home