CMBC: Cranky Monkey Broadcasting Corporation

Saturday, June 17, 2006

If the name fits...

So I'm waiting at a red light when I noticed a well-used, white dump truck with "Grites Excavation" painted in green on the driver's door. To me, the name and the truck seemed to fit. If you are born a Grite, then you probably have an excavation-type career in your future.

Of course, I'm probably completely off the mark. Someone is going to write me back and ask, "What about Prime Minister Grite who led Great Britain in the late 1880s?" Or, "What about the great Giovanni Grite, the Milan-based fashion inspiration for both Versace and Armani?"

On the other side of the coin, I have trouble imagining a dump truck with the name, "Rothenfellows" on the side. If anything, it seems as if it should be "Rothenfellow's Fine Excavation"--written in a cursive script, of course. Naturally, I'm likely off the mark here again as someone will write me to tell me that his uncle works for Rothenfellow's Waste Management Systems in Milwaukee and that there is a Rothenfellow's State Penitentiary in Iowa.

So, is there a positive correlation between names percieved as noble and occupations percieved as noble?

I'm not sure, but perhaps decendents of Thomas Crapper who randomly come across this entry would be kind enough to weigh in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home